Getting Started as an Okta Administrator
The Okta Administrator is essential to any company that successfully leverages Okta. This guide is meant to get you grounded on Okta so you know where to go to do your best work and properly support your team, users and company needs.
Topics covered in this article:
- The Admin Console
- How to Access Okta Help Center
- All About Getting Started & the Help Center
What to expect if you have Professional Services
Available Product Knowledge Hubs
Adoption Toolkit (for prepping deployment + End Users)
The Okta Administrator Role
As an administrator, you have access to the Okta Administrator Console. Administrators perform many Okta-related tasks, including:
Only administrators have the Admin button on the upper right side of the “My Applications” page. This button grants access to the Administrator Console.
- Creating and maintaining Okta end user accounts
- Assigning apps
- Running reports or examining logs
- Resetting passwords
- Tailoring the overall end-user experience
An Okta user can be assigned to several different Okta Administrator roles, each with different permissions (or a Super Administrator role that has ALL permissions). To see what particular permissions each administrator has, take a look at the chart on our Administrators guide.
Leverage the Okta Help Center
To access the Okta Help Center, simply log into your Okta Admin Console and click the Help & Support link located in the upper-right corner of the page.
Getting Started & the Help Center
First, make sure you’re getting all the information you need as a new administrator:
If you are the Super Administrator, look for an email with your Okta credentials and log into the Admin Console.
If you purchased Professional Services, we will reach out in the next week to schedule the kickoff call
Become familiar with the Okta Help Center
This is where you are now. The Help Center provides a single place where you can find most of the information you'll need:
- Search the product documentation to see if an article exists for what you’re trying to do.
- Ask questions in the community.
- Submit a case to Support by clicking the Open a Case button in the Okta Help Center.
- Join groups. Okta recommends Admin Pro Tips to start where we post regular content such as onboarding materials, new feature videos, webinars, helpful content for top admin topics and more.
- Sign up for Okta Trust events to get real-time updates on system status.
- Log in often to connect with other admins or find them at one of our local User Groups.
We update our product almost every week to ensure we’re providing the most up-to-date and high functioning platform on the market, so you'll want to visit the Release Notes often:
You can find documentation for the features you use directly in Okta. Just look for the Help link in the user interface.
Find out what's coming to your production org a few days before it arrives by viewing the Preview version of the release notes.
Access features before they are generally available to all orgs. Okta releases our features in phases: the first is Beta, for testing in non-production environments, then Early Access (EA) which is safe to use in production environments, and finally General Availability (GA), when the feature is enabled in all orgs that are licensed to use it. You can access features in each stage:
Know your Support Entitlement
Okta offers the following support entitlements:
Get to Know Okta Products
Here’s introductory content on a few Okta products you may have licenses for:
We will send you an email with all the details you and your team need to begin training on how to use and administer Okta. You can learn more about the training process here, or check out our comprehensive list of course offerings.
There are three types of training for Okta Administrators: formal, informal, and assessment (certification).
- Instructor-led Training: Receive hands-on, group learning from Okta Certified instructors. Whether delivered virtually or in person, these highly interactive courses are a great way to accelerate your Okta skills through discussion and access to hands-on environments. Check out available courses here.
- On-demand Training: Learn at your own pace with our library of recorded training. Courses include multimedia presentations, application demonstrations, and knowledge checks. Start your journey with Okta Basics and keep skills current when new features are released. Check out available on demand training here.
- Private Class: Have a large group of people to train or want to explore specialized use cases? Let us tailor a learning experience for your organization's’ specific needs. Private class delivery is dedicated to your team and can be conducted at your location or online in a private virtual classroom. Submit a form to let us know you’re details.
Validate your knowledge, skills, and experience through examination. Okta certifications demonstrate commitment to success and provide benefits for the individual and company alike. Check out our certification page to learn more! Turns out, Okta certifications are great for admins as they’re ranked in the top tier of highest paying IT certifications globally.
What to Expect if you Have Professional Services
Available Product Knowledge Hubs
If you haven’t purchased Professional Services, our Product Knowledge Hubs offer a consolidated resource to help with the deployment process:
Our Adoption Toolkit has some getting started templates project teams can use to help organize the requirements and plans for deployment as well as prepare early for end user adoption and acceptance. Take a look through the toolkit for all products you purchased to understand what content is available for you to leverage.
Plan your deployment
Developing a comprehensive deployment plan is vital to ensure the most successful and frictionless Okta deployment. This should include planning for the technical implementation, completing a pilot, allowing ample time for testing, and training your team.
Ensure that your plan includes:
The next step is developing and communicating these plans to your deployment team. Your deployment team should include:
Executive sponsor: Decides on strategic direction and provides escalation support
IT/System Administrator: Leads the technical implementation of Okta
Help Desk Manager: Makes sure support staff are ready to help users with Okta
Trainer: Shows employees how to use Okta
Prepare your support team
Make sure your support team is up to speed before you launch. Many Okta customers also use this training curriculum when on-boarding new help desk agents in the future. There is a training course available made specifically to ready your help desk team. (Check out the section above, On-demand training.)
In the days leading up to your go-live day, make sure everyone is ready:
Send final communications to IT, your Help Desk, and your employees
Make sure that the support process is well understood:
- Is the Help Desk ready to field questions about Okta?
- Is Desktop Services or Support ready to help get users signed in for the first time?
- Do employees know who to contact if they have questions?
Come up with creative approaches, such as a “Genius Bar”, to help make it easy for everyone to understand how to use Okta and their new tools.
It’s important to prepare your end users and organization for deployment and long term acceptance. Be sure to leverage our adoption toolkit and communicate early and often.
Okta’s product is constantly improving and releasing new features to ensure our product allows customers to accomplish their success needs. Here’s a few ways to stay involved and keep up to date on the latest and greatest you could be leveraging.
Things to Check Regularly
- Check out our new feature video series.
Look for Early Access features that may require additional configuration by viewing the Early Access tab. If you see a feature you need, request it from Support.
Visit the EA Feature Manager, where you can enable EA features yourself without having to go through Support. These EA features typically don't require additional configuration to use.
Ways to Impact Okta Products
Like Prizes? Sign up and participate in the Ozone!
Submit or review feature ideas. If you see one you like, upvote it!
Sign up for Beta programs to access new features that Okta's Product team is validating with customers.
View the Okta Roadmap to learn where Okta is headed.
Another fun and great way to help your team grow and get up to speed with Okta is with the use of our Ozone admin portal. With Ozone your team can play games, take surveys and win points which they can redeem for various rewards such as gift cards and more!